Téma: Mass Media
Zaslal(a): Jan Lapuník
Mass media are the form of mass communication through channels. Communication is a process of sending and receiving information. To communicate means to get across some sort of message. There are different sorts of messages as for example letters, pictures, books, music or e-mail.
We mainly use verbal communication which include written and oral communication. But also nonverbal communication (body language or gestures), visual communication (the use of images or pictures, such as painting and photography, video or film), electronic communication (telephone call, electronic mail, television or satellite broadcasts).
Today the electronic communication is very important. The mobile communication has been developing rapidly. Everybody has got a smart phone and it is very useful because you are accessible everywhere.
The most common types of mass communication:
- Internet and social media
- = the oldest kind of communication
- Papers can be dailies or weeklies
- The daily press is still playing an important role in these days. It informs its readers about the latest news in political, cultural and economic life. The papers give us sports results, interviews with famous personalities and also political issues from both inside and outside of the country.
In the newspaper we can find different sorts of articles
- Social life
- Even though some people may prefer internet because the papers are not flexible and you can’t read the latest news there.
There are 2 main kinds of the newspaper:
- Broadsheets (qualities, serious newspapers)
- The text is serious, reliable and unemotional
- Big pages, not too many photos, more details and facts, difficult language, longer articles, nearly about everything (policy, culture, money, …)
- USA (USA Today, New York Times, Washington Post)
- UK (The Times, The Telegraph, The Independent)
- Tabloids (popular newspapers)
- Not much serious news, dramatic headlines
- Smaller pages, plenty of photos, short articles
- They are more popular than broadsheets
- USA (US Weekly, Star Magazine)
- UK (The Daily Mirror, The Sun, The Express)
- Magazines provide entertainment or information. They are published weekly, fortnightly, monthly. This is the main reason why they cannot give the readers fresh daily news.
- There are 2 main kinds of magazines:
- Deal with specialized issues of one particular field
- Only a limited number of readers who are interested in
- Information is given by experts such as doctors, engineers, economists, …
- Hobby magazines
- A number of photographs
- More attractive than newspapers
- Magazines for: nature lovers, gardening, fashion, animals
The broadcast TV was important because people could see images and sounds. Television brings us peace, entertainment, education and news. There are public service stations targeted at more demanding viewers and commercial stations which are less serious and there is a lot of advertising.
Sorts of TV channels:
- Public national channels
- Financed from charge, which we pay for each TV box
- Main goal – inform and educate people
- Commercial private
- Financed by advertising
- Satellite channels, cable channels
- We must pay a monthly charge if we want to watch these channels
UK – main broadcaster is the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). Channels BBC One and Two are public Broadcasting channels, paid for by license fees
SR – STV, TV Joj, Joj Plus, TA3
Radio and TV are sources of information, education, and entertainment. We can listen or look at these:
- The latest news – current affairs, foreign and home affairs, political, business and sport news
- Music programmes – live concerts, top of the pops
- Children programmes – bed-time stories, cartoons
- Films – romantic, detective, historic, etc.
- Different series
- Discussion programmes – political commentaries, political negotiation
- Live broadcasts – live telly-cast from different places
- Even nowadays, even if people prefer watching TV, its popularity is still great. People who listen to the radio are called hearers.
- You can take it nearly anywhere you want
- Not expensive
- Used for listening to music
- You can’t see the “moving pictures”
There are local radios and lots of specialist station for example with a view to a classical music, rock music or sport. Most people are too busy to watch TV during the day, but they can turn on their radios when cooking, driving or working.
- The internet is about to become medium number one. It has been developed in the USA where there is also the highest population od computers at home, at schools as well as in offices. It’s very important, especially for young people, no business nowadays can exist without computer technology. You can travel across the whole world just sitting at your desk.
- Very fast
- Lots of information
- Chatting on social media
- E-banking and internet shopping
◆ Stiahnuť prácu v PDF ◆ ◆ Upozorniť na chybu ◆