Téma: The United States of America
Now I am going to talk about the United States of America.
- The United States of America was founded on July 4, 1776
- It is the fourth largest nation by total area after Russia, Canada and China
- The USA covers about 9,5 million square kilometres.
- We can say, that the USA is nearly large as the whole Europe.
- The northern neighbour of US is Canada and the south of the USA is Mexico. The west coast borders the Pacific Ocean and the east coast borders Atlantic Ocean.
States and cities
- There are today 50 states and one federal district (Washington D. C.) – for example it is Nevada, California, Texas, New Mexico, Hawai, Washington, North and South Dakota, Georgia, Mexico, Arizona, Alabama…
- Now I would like to talk about some well-known cities. First, I am going to talk about LA – Los Angeles. It is probably the most popular city in the state of California. There lives about 3,7 million people. This city has the largest centre of manufacturing industry in the US.
- Washington D. C. – It is the capital of the USA. There is lot of buildings, museums and monuments that you can see and visit. For example there is the White house, the U. S. Capitol, the Washington monument (obelisk), the Pentagon (ministry of defence) or the Lincoln memorial.
- Another beautiful and interesting city is New York. There are many skyscrapers – like Empire State Building (which is the highest building all over the world), Trump Tower or Chrysler Building (it has interesting top of the skyscraper). Well known are also Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park or Rockefeller Center
- Before expansion to America from Europe and the rest of the world, there lived just Native Americans. But more often we use word Indians. This mistake was made when Kryštof Columbus landed in Amerika and he thought that it was India. The majority of the population of the US is of European origin. They came from GB, Germany, Ireland and so on.
- Language is American English
American system of government
- The United States of America is a federal republic
- It consists of 50 states and the Disctrict of Columbia
- Each state has its own government, laws, customs, education, taxes, traffic regulation. But the Bill of Rights – guarantees freedom – of religion, free speech, free press, the right of citizens to bear arms and so on
- The USA divided three branches – legislative, executive and judicial
- The Lincoln memorial
- The Statue of Liberty
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Mount Rushmore
- Golden Gate
- Plays leading role- Major industries are oil, steel, car, aerospace, telecommunications, chemical, electronics, food…
- Around the Mississippi
- Midwest (cereals, cattle)
- California (fruit, including citrus fruit)
- It depends on the position of the concrete place
- So there’s various temperate
- In Hawaii islands is warm – it’s a tropical zone
- Alaska is a snow and artic zone
- Central part is a mild climate
- Earth quakes, volcanoes, forests fires, mudslides, hurricanes, tornadoes
- Edgar Allan Poe, Ernst Hemingway, Mark Twain…
- Eddie Murphy, Woody Allen…
- Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Stevie Wonder, Louis Armstrong…
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, Jennifer Anniston, Marilyn Monroe…