Zaslal(a): Natalia V.
We know many different kinds of shops:
- Butcher´s – meat (pork, beef, chicken), ham, salami, cheese, minced meet etc.
- Baker´s – bread, rolls, buns, doughnuts, cakes, cookies
- Grocer´s – all kinds of food (milk, yoghurt, butter, cheese, soups, sugar, oil, drinks)
- Shoe shop – shoes, boots, sandals, slippers, trainers, socks, stockings
- Clothes shop – sweaters, T-shirts, shirts, jeans, tops, underwear, gloves, caps
- Off licence – liquors
- Bookshop – books, textbooks, dictionaries, calendars
- Florist´s – flowers, flowerpots
- Greengrocer´s-fruit and vegetables
- Chemist´s – shampoo, cosmetics, detergents, washing powder etc.
- Stationer´s – notebooks, pencils, pens, birthday cards
- Newsagent´s – newspapers, magazines
- Pharmacy (Chemist´s) – medicines, remedies, herbal tea
- Goldsmith´s – rings, bracelets, chains, watches
A typical shopping process
- We take a shopping basket or a trolley and go into the shop. There are lots of shelves with products so that we can choose what we want.
- In some shops (goldsmith´s or butcher´s) there are counters and the shop assistants show us and hand us the goods.
- In clothes shops there are changing rooms (fitting rooms) where we can try the clothes on. Then we go to the cash register.
- We can pay in cash or by card. After having paid we get a receipt that gives us a guarantee. If there is something wrong with the goods, we can take the goods back and get a refund.
- For many people shopping malls are a place where they spend their free time. They have long opening hours and they are open at weekends.
- There are lots of shops concentrated in a big hall. Most of them are clothes shops and boutiques, some shops with jewellery, accessories and cosmetics. In most shopping malls you can find fast food stalls and cafés, children´s court and sometimes also a cinema.
- People often go window shopping there. (Window shopping is browsing shops when you do not want to buy anything. You are only watching.)
- Advertisements are a part of our lives today. We can see them on TV, on billboards, in magazines, on the internet. Ads want to persuade us to buy something. They mostly cost a lot of money – that is why advertised products are more expensive. Advertisements are successful because people mostly choose a trademark which they know (from TV, radio, billboards). Lots of things are advertised: bank products, all kinds of goods, food, fast food restaurants, cars etc.
- Some people think that billboards are dangerous because they attract attention of drivers and then, drivers do not concentrate on driving.
- Advertisements on TV are called „commercials“. Most TV stations put commercials between films.