Téma: American Literature
Zaslal(a): Duong Do
- Oldest literature – indian cultures, news from colonies
- 18th century
- 19th century
- 20th century – realism, naturalism, Lost generation, Beat generation
Although the rous of American literature reach to 16th century, the real history of American literature begins in the time, when Americans fought for their independence.
In the second half of the 19th century, the country went through the Civil War, ending with the abolition of slavery. American romanticism was connected with nationalism.
Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1845)
- Poet and short story writer
- The founder of a deective story
- Born in Boston. He was sent to live with a foster family.
- He liked to write about a dark Themes. His life was his main inspiration, he had horrible,tragic and dramatic life. He was an alcoholic. Married his 13y.o. cousin – happy marriage
- The most famous poem is The Raven
The Raven – symbol of death, raven can communicate with dead and even with alive people. The story is about a man Lenore, who asks the raven if he sees his dead girlfriend in the future and the raven’s anter is nevermore.
The wrote about thein experience in the World War I. They were influenced by the war and lost their illusions. They were unable to move into a settled life. In this group belong for example: Ernest Hamingway, John Steinbeck.
Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)
- A writer of novels and short stories
- American‘s best known writers. The main representative of Lost generation
- His writing is inspired of personal experiences in the war
- Received the Nobel Prize for literature for his famous novel The Old Man and the Sea
- Became ill and shot himself at his home
- Many novels such as The Sun Also Rises, The Farewell to Arms
The Old Man and the Sea –The plot takes place in Cuba, near city Havana. The main character is an poor fishman Santiago. Usually he used to fishing with a small boy but they didn’t catch any fish for 40 days, so the boy’s parents ordered him to not go out to the sea with the fishman. Santiago still went everyday to the sea and everyday he came back empty. After 84 days of bad luck, Santiago went out further then usual and he hooks a giant marlin. Unfortunately the sharks soon appeared and hit the fish. Santiago killed some of them but his fight was useless. He returned back only with the fish skelton.
The Beat Generation
The group of poets and artists (gathered arend 1950s in San Francisco). Practised free life, behaviour and use of language. They were disgusted by the world arend them. So they hoped to make their world better by the excitement given by drugs and drinks.
Allen Ginsberg, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, William Burroughs, Jack Kerouac
Jack Kerouac (1922-1969)
- One of the most signifiant representatives of the Beat Generation
- His book On the Road became bible of the Beat Generation
On the Road – This novel is about friends wandering across the continent and shows us their “beat“ character.
◆ Stiahnuť prácu v PDF ◆ ◆ Upozorniť na chybu ◆