Téma: Holidays and Feasts
- During the whole year we celebrate many feasts.
- Private/family celebration
- Birthday, nameday, anniversary of wedding, graduation, driving lessons, promotion and other.
- Christmas, Easter or in other countries for example Ramadan.
- Bank holidays
- Státní svátek
- Because in 1871 got it bank workers.
- Commemorating some events
- It is St. Wenceslav’s day.
- He is patron of Czech Republic.
- He was murdered by his brother in 935 in Old Boleslav.
- It is a bank holiday.
- Foundation of independent Czechoslovakian republic.
- Day called Halloween.
- It is a day when small children dress up scary costumes of witches, wizards or ghosts and they are going from house to house.
- They say „ Trick or treat “ ,which means that they want some sweets otherwise they will do some troubles.
- It is celebrated in England, USA and some families celebrate it also in Czech Republic.
- It is All saint day and we remember people, who died.
- Guy Fawkes Night
- Special day in England.
- Guy Fawkes was a member of group of Catholic conspirator and he wanted to blow up the English Houses of Parliament.
- He failed.
- It is commemorate with many fireworks all around the country.
- Remembrance day
- They commemorate veterans of wars.
- It is celebrated in UK and USA
Fourth Thursday of November
- Thanksgiving day
- People hold this tradition as thank for good harvest.
- When first settlers arrived in America, they haven’t got enough food during cold winter.
- Native Americans helped them to survive.
- It is remembered each year in honour of student demonstrations against Nazis in 1939 and in honour of demonstrations against communism in 1989.
- Nicolas Day
- Czech tradition celebrated in the evening.
- People dress as St. Nicolas, Devil and Angel and they from house to house to find out if small children had good behaviour during the year.
- If yes, they get a small pack of sweets and if no, they could be taken to hell.
- New Years Eve
- People celebrate the end of the old year and the welcome new year.
- There are many fireworks.
- New Years Day
- People usually relax after long night.
- Some people make new year resolution.
- Burns night
- It is celebrated in Scotland.
- Robert Burns was Scottish poet, who collected songs and folk.
- He was born on this date.
- Australian Independence Day
- It is a bank holiday.
- Waitangi day
- National holiday in New Zealand.
- Peace between Maori and the English.
- Valentine’s Day
- It is the day of lovers.
- Patrick’s day
- Patron of Ireland, who brought Christianity.
- Symbol of this holiday is green shamrock.
- 24thDecember – 26thDecember
- Christmas Eve, Christmas day and Boxing day (Money from boxes are given to poor people).
- Different from Czech Republic
- In USA they have Christmas dinner (Turkey with cranberry cream and stuffing).
- In the morning they unwrap presents and watch TV.
- In England are Christmas more traditional.
- Christian most important holidays.
- They celebrate crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.
- It is on the first Sunday after a full moon at spring.
- Ugly Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, Easter Monday, Easter Sunday.
- Making whipping canes, decorating eggs, baby animals.