- I would like to speak about Australia. At first I’ll tell you something about basic informations and geography. The second part will be about history, political system or interesting places.
- Australia, officially the Commonwealth of Australia, is a country in the Southern Hemisphere comprising the mainland of the Australian continent, the island of Tasmania and numerous smaller islands. The continent is surrounded by The Indian Ocean to the west and south and the Pacific ocean to the east. The nearest neighbours are Indonesia and Papua New Guinea to the north, Solomons Islands, Fiji and New Zelnad to the east.
- Australia is the world’s smallest continent and sixth largest country. It covers an area of 7,7 million sq km and its has more than 25 million inhabitants concentrated along the eastern and southeastern coasts. The capital city is Canberra. Largest city is Sydney and other important cities are: Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth.
- Australia is the flattest continent. Fertile, arid soils and wide deserts, known as the Outback makes up the largest part of land. There are some mountain ranges: f.e.: Great Dividing Range with Australian Alps and highest peak Mt. Kosciuszko (2228 m), MacDonnell Ranges and Musgrave Ranges. Among the largest deserts belongs the Great Sandy Desert, Gibson Desert or Great Victoria Desert. There are also some lakes and rivers f.e.: Lake Eyre, Lake Torrens, the Murray river and the Darling river.
- Among the typical Australian animals belongs f.e.: Koala, Emu, Kangaroo or dingo.
- Capitan James Cook explored the eastern coast in 1770 when the continent was inhabited by differnet tribes. He called it New Wales and took it for Britain. In 1788 The first Fleet from England arrives to Sydney. In 1851 The Vicotrian gold rush starts. On the 1st January 1901 Australia becames a federation.
- Australia is a British dominion. It has a democratic, federal system and the head of state is Queen Elizabeth II represented by the Governor General. The head of government is the Prime Minister Scott Morrison. The Parliament is divided into the Senate and the House od Representatives.
- Australia is divided into six states (New South Wales, Qeensland, South A., Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia) and two major mainland territories (Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory).
- The economy of Australia is developed. Australia is member of the G20, OECD and WTO organizations.
- Australia is a major exporter of agricultural products: f.e.: wheat, wool, beef, lamb, sugar… The main trading partners are: Japan, the USA, the UK, New Zeland. The currency used in Australia is Aus. Dollar.
Places of interest
- Sydney – largest and mostpopulous city. It’s called „the Harbour City“. 2000 Summer Olympics tok place there. Great Barrier Reef – the world’s largest living coral reef
- Uluru, also Ayers Rock, is a large sandstone rock. It’s sacred to the Aboriginal people of the area.
◆ Stiahnuť prácu v PDF ◆ ◆ Upozorniť na chybu ◆