Téma: The UK
The British Isles include two big islands – Great Britain and Ireland. They are washed off by the North Sea, the Irish Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. From France, England is divided by the La Manche Channel. Great Britain consists of England, Wales and Scotland. Great Britain together with Northern Ireland form the country named the United Kingdom.
The climate in Great Britain is influenced by the Gulf Stream, so there is rainy but warm weather. The average temperature ranges from 4°C in winter to 16°C in summer.
The longest river is called the Severn River. There are other rivers like the Thames, the Avon or the Cam. Loch Ness is a large and deep lake situated in Scottish Highlands and it´s known for the legend about the Loch Ness Monster.
The island of Great Britain can be divided into two regions – Lowland Britain and Highland Britain. Highland covers Scotland, Wales and the Pennies.
Lowland covers the midland, southern and eastern England.
The highest mountain peak is called Ben Nevis (1 343 m) and it is a part of Scottish Highlands.
The population of Great Britain is more than 56 million people. The largest cities are London, Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol, Leeds and Edinburgh.
GB is a constitutional monarchy and the head of the state is the Queen Elisabeth II /the second/.
The head of the government is the Prime minister and currently it’s Boris Johnson, the member of Conservative Party, who became the Prime minister in 2020. The other famous prime ministers from the history are: Winston Churchill, who was the prime minister during the World War II a Margaret Thatcher who was called the “iron lady”.
The Parliament includes the House of Lords and the House of Commons.
The British Royal Family is a ruling family ruling in the United Kingdom, headed by a monarch-queen. The current head has been Queen Elizabeth II since 1952. from the Windsor Dynasty.
Some names of the royal family:
- Queen and Duke of Edinburgh
- the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall
- Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
- Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge
- Princess Charlotte of Cambridge
- Prince Louis of Cambridge
- Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex
- Archie Mountbatten-Windsor
- the Duke of York
Places of interest
- Stonehenge-one of the most famous and mysterious stone buildings in the world. The oldest parts are about 4 600 years old and the biggest stones are about 50 000 kg.
- Brighton (Royal Pavilion) – originally a farm house, currently, it is a palace /paeləs/ decorated in Chinese style with an Indian exterior.It used to be a famous residence, which was built for the King George IV.
- White cliffs of Dover-they form a part of the British southern coastline and they reach up to 110 metres.
◆ Stiahnuť prácu v PDF ◆ ◆ Upozorniť na chybu ◆